Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Crave: Buttermilk Biscuits



{breakfast club}


One of my favorite little traditions that Daniel and I have started is something super convenient for us, fun, and of course involves food. Here's how you can enjoy it too.

Step 1. lazily roll out of bed on a Saturday morning/afternoon
Step 2. drive to the only big red building with a mill attached to it in Portland
Step 3. read the menu and try to decide what to order. it all sounds so delicious and is all organic/many whole wheat and gluten free options/etc.
Step 4. eat. perhaps wave hello to Bob. maybe play some cribbage, that's how we do it.



Seriously. I am like a little kid when we go there. And if I were still a little kid, Bob would give me tokens when he visited my table. He's that cool.

My absolute favorite thing to eat there is the amazing biscuits. My stomach always forgets that I can barely eat two of them, and I try and talk Daniel into buying me four. Yes. Four. He always laughs at me, but ends up getting four. Then we pig out and never even finish all of our food. Gotta love traditions!



If you want to try them out, here's the top secret recipe for those perfect biscuits. Top secret meaning, I asked a BRM employee and they fetched me a paper with the recipe typed out on it. I guess I'm not the only carb lover who was seeking out the holy grail of biscuit concoctions.

Enjoy!




Bob's Red Mill Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:

1 lb. 3 oz. Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White Flour
1 lb. Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
3 1/2 oz. Evaporated Cane Juice
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
8 oz. Butter, unsalted
3 1/2 cups Buttermilk
2 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix unbleached white flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, and baking soda thoroughly. Add butter and mix until evenly distributed. Add buttermilk and evenly mix until dough forms. Roll dough out on a floured surface, sprinkle on 1-2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, and cut with a 2 1/2-3 inch cutter. Place biscuits on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Makes 2 dozen biscuits.


Eat. Freeze. Share. Eat some more. Whatever.

So delicious!



xoxo

{Bon Bon}






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...